In this Roundtable Forum, a national group of panelists debates the role of Telehealth as a legitimate mechanism to deliver care to Canadians. Can the technology be integrated into the workflow of specialists and GPs? How is Telehealth technology being used in Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba? Can inexpensive consumer level webcams and video-conferencing be used to extend Telehealth to the average physician's practice? Can Telehealth reduce the rate of ER visits and hospital admissions for patients with chronic diseases such as congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive lung disease?
Click on the player to listen:
- Dr. Ed Brown is an ER physician and the CEO of the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN);
- Dr. Doug Urness is a practicing Pyschiatrist and the Clinical Director, Telemental Health Services with the Alberta Mental Health Board;
- Liz Loewen is the Director, Telehealth and EHR Service for Manitoba eHealth;
- David McFayden is Director, Channels & Business Development, Canada for Librestream Technologies an innovative Canadian Telehealth vendor.
- Lindsay Hope-Ross, Clinical Lead, Healthy Minds/Healthy Children, Alberta: Are there any evidence-based strategies for getting professionals comfortable with, and agreeable to, using telehealth?
- Jason Murphy: There appears to be a positive benefit in treating patients with Chronic Diseases (Like Diabetes) via telehealth services such as telehomecare/remote patient monitoring. How will these types of telehealth services become more widely available as an option for healthcare providers to enrol patients in?
- Dr. Fullerton: How can smartphones be used for mobile Health strategies including telemedicine that use existing technology to engage more patients in their own care and encourage more individual responsibility?
- Nancy Gabor, Managing Consultant, IBM Global Business Services. Please describe your expectations for store-and-forward technologies in the next 5 - 10 years in Canada or your province. Is there anything specific we should be doing to promote uptake and use of store-and-forward technologies?
TELUS Health Solutions is a leading provider of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for the health industry.
Developed in conjunction with: